Sunday, November 23, 2008

A 50th Post with Celebration

Its been a quiet time on my blog for a while now. With posts being added once in a while. First I was caught up with the fever bug and then the body ache and weakness followed. This left me with no mood to cook and even if I did there was very little interest in me to blog about it. Meanwhile we also did a few changes to the blog like a new header, font settings etc..(Thanks to my hubby) Still a lot of them to come soon. I wanted the blog to have a different look and then it was my 50th post too. So decided to make a sweet post about the humble sheera.
Sheera till date happens to be my most favourite sweet. Amma makes sheera using slightly big rava than the normal Semolina and it tastes great. When I was in my sixth std one sunday afternoon I told amma that I wanted to eat sheera. Amma was a working woman and sunday afternoon was the only time she used to get some rest. So she said she will make it for me some other time and also that there was no sufficient sugar at home to make a sweet. But I was not convinced and told her that I would make sheera not only for me but for the whole family. I mentally took note of the recipe that she told me and went ahead to kitchen emerging out every now and then to ask her where the ingredients were. After some time she came in to the Kitchen to check as to what I was doing, she was horrified to see the amount of sheera I had done. She said it was impossible to come up with so much amount with the measures she had given me. Only then did I realise that she mentioned small cup and I used a bigger one and not only that I had also added less sugar than required and  ended up making lot of sheera that did not taste like one due to the lack of sugar. Then she came to my rescue, sent my brother to shop to get extra sugar (I used up all the sugar!!!) and some how made it taste like sheera. The sheera was eaten not only by my family but also by all my uncles and cousin's who stayed quite close to our house ;) After that till the time I got married I have never attempted making sheera!!!
Even now I feel that I cannot come up with decent sheera. I know it is one of the easiest sweet to make yet I am not satisfied the way I make it.. Practice I guess!!!
This Sheera was not made by me but my hubby when I was not keeping well. He followed Nupur's recipe and the only modification that he made was while adding extra sugar as the sugar that we use here is not very sweet at all. Thanks Nupur :) we loved it 

26 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

First of all it was nice reading your 50th post and congrats gal... Now to your sheera, its looks good and did I notice some strands of Saffrons??? Good one Ujwal dont really worry we are moulded by our mistakes and thanks for writing abt it, so we learn and keep abt these mistakes in mind... Now tell me how are you feeling??? Glad you the fever bug took an exit...

Uj said...

That was quick Ramya. Thanks for asking I ma doing much better. Yep it was saffron strands.. Hubby wanted them to be perfect! He is a perfectionist :) heaving a huge relief after kicking the bug out of my house ;)

Cham said...

Great post, wish many more and the sweet looks good :)

Jaishree Iyer said...

congrats! nice reading your 50th post.Thanks for visiting my blog and for wonderful comments.sheera is looks delicious n perfect:)

Sum Raj said...

hai ujwal..nice meeting u...r u konkani?...loved reading ur 50th post...sheera looks perfect..:)

Recipeswap said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your encouragement.Nice sheera,good to be pampered when not well isnt it?

Red Chillies said...

Congratulations on the 50th post and wishes for more to come. So glad that the fever bug is gone. Sheera looks awesome. Even I cannot make a decent sheera. The main problem starts because I don'd add enough oil/tup and it becomes very lumpy. Take care Ujwal.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

ur blog looks good and congrats on ur 50th post. sheera looks yummy.

Vibaas said...

Congrats on your 50th post.

you have a yum blog.

Unknown said...

Congratulation on ur 50th post and I hope u are doing fine.Sheera sounds good.Let me check Nupur's blog and as my hubby loves it.

Sunshinemom said...

Congrats! Was good reading your foray into cooking:) I am sure you must have loved it a lot made with all that TLC:)

Unknown said...

congrats on ur 50th post. sheera looks yummy.

Sabitha said...

Congrats on your 50th post. As I do not like Sheera, I have no comments about the taste. But the picture looks nice. Very good effort by Prashanth. well narrated. I always wait for your new post.

-Sabitha

Srikitchen said...

good effort by ur hubby and u r lucky to have such a helping and caring person as ur life partner.
congrats on ur 50th post

notyet100 said...

thnks for droppin by sheera looks good..even i am not good in making halwa,..i always take hubbys help...:-)hppy bloggin ceeya..soon,...

Deepthi Shankar said...

yummy sheera .. congrats on th 50th post

FH said...

Happy 50th Uj, keep it going. Sheera looks yum! :))

Enjoy the Rava dosa, it will taste great. I always use non-stick tava for rava dosa, easier to deal with. Try this Rava dosa too, I love the crispiness.

http://aromahope.blogspot.com/2008/03/dosa-galore-rave-dose-moong-masoor-and.html

Have a great week.

lankythoughts said...

Had me smiling for a long time. I bet that was the sweetest sheera you did( the 6th std one). The sugar was not the only sweetener. Your excitment and love for sheera was there too :-D

I would like you to try Nanchane Duddali (Raagi Manni). If you want recipe, just google for "Raagi Manni Recipe".

As for the header, it looks superb. But for low resolution screens (screens owned by people like poor me), it is coming out of the screen. Your hubby can probably introduce some html which makes it fit into the screen.

Yasmeen said...

Congrats on your milestone 50 yummy posts Ujwal. We call the dish sooji halwa..it does have very simple ingredients but needs lot of practice to make perfectly. That was very thoughtful of your husband to make a sweet delight like sheera to cheer you up:)

Unknown said...

congrats on your 50th post..take care of your health..so sweet of your hubby to make the delicious sweet.

Andhra Flavors said...

Your blog looks good, congrats on your half century.

ST said...

Congrats on ur 50th post...Sheera looks perfect..Take care of ur health...

Uj said...

Cham, Jaishree Thanks :)

Suma same here. Yes I am a konkani from Mangalore. Nice meeting you too here..

N33ma, Yep love to be pampered and being taken care of :)

Rc, Same is my problem. I add very less ghee as I do not like ghee. My mum used to always drive me out of the kitchen while making sweets as I would irritate here while adding ghee :P

Mahimaa, Vibhaas Thank you girls!

PearlsOfFeast, Sure do try it :)

Harini, it was a a very sweet gesture of him :) I did enjoy it :)

SK, Thanks.

Sabithakka, so glad that you wait for my post. Prashanth is beaming with joy after reading your comment

SriLekha, Thanks. Touchwood. I am indeed lucky.

notyet100, Thats great that your hubby helps you with cooking :)

Uj said...

Deesha , Thanks

Asha, Thanks for the link. Saw the video too. I made it today for breakfast and hubby loved it. He insisted in having these for dinner too. The recipes that I have tried from your blog have never failed me. Thanks a lot dear

Vinayakanna, I do have the recipe for duddhali. I dont love it much but would love to make it some day to post it on my blog :) Thanks for your sweet comments. I will look into the image issue! Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks Yasmeen, I agree with you :) Patience is the key I guess.

Sowmya,AF,Sireesha Thanks a lot ladies :)

Purva Desai said...

First of all Congrats dear for your 50th post, May ypu celebrate many more such posts....
It was really a sweet gesture by ur hubby to make sheera....
I really love sheera....I am coming to grab it

lankythoughts said...

Hi, I wonder if you have tasted the Raagi Duddhali (Manni) Its a bit tastier and has an immense cooling effect.