Friday, December 5, 2008

Batate Song

Batate Song is a very authentic Konkani dish. Song as pronounced as "English Song", has no relation with it! I still do not have any idea as to why it is called song. If anyone does please let me know. 
It is a very spicy dish and pairs well with Rice & Dalithoy. Ofcourse it tastes good even with Dosa's or Chapathi. I make song either from cubed Potato or whole baby Potato's as in pic or also with cauliflower,tender cashews etc etc.
What's needed:
10-12 baby Potato's or 3 medium sized boiled, peeled and chopped Potato. If using baby Potato after peeling them prick them with the fork all over.
2 medium Onions chopped fine
1 big Tomato chopped fine
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 small marble sized Tamarind soaked in warm water
½ tsp crushed Coriander seeds
1-2 tsp Chilli powder (Increase or decrease based on your spice level)
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Oil
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander leaves to garnish
Procedure:
1)Heat oil and add mustard when it splutters add chopped onions and little salt. Fry until they turn brownish.
2)Add chopped tomatoes and cook until mushy.
3)Add crushed Corainder seeds and other powders and fry for sometime.
4)Add Tamarind juice and stir well.
5)Add little water and let the onions cook until done but yet crunchy.
6)Add chopped/whole Potato and salt. Mix well until Potato gets coated with the masala. I usually add little water and let the Potato's boil so that they absorb the flavour.
7)Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot!

15 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yummylicious.

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow delicious

Divya Kudua said...

Batate song...one of my favorite dishes with Dali thoy..love the tangy and spicy song anyday!!

Unknown said...

I have seen this so many blogs..and it truly sounds yummy..AM going to make this now..

Sabitha said...

Dear Uj,

Today I prepared chana ghashi with tender jack & cabbage pepper fry. Both are mild. My mouth started watering looking at your spicy song. Very nice presentation.

Try song with tender bamboo shoots & dry green peas. I do not add mustard. Coriander powder, once in a a while. Some times I top the song with freshly grated coconut.

Your blog makes me nostalgic.
-Sabitha

Deepthi Shankar said...

song looks delicious .. would love to try this

anudivya said...

You have some really unique dishes, some that I have never tried in my life. Looks neat.

CurryLeaf said...

Lovely Song.Best with rotis as well as rice and dalithoy as you said

Red Chillies said...

Strange isn't it how the word song came into picture. I am not sure of the origin either, but I have read that it has some Burmese connection.Lovely batata song Uj.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

perfect subji to go with rotis.. good one.

Anonymous said...

I love the konkani way of cooking. We were in goa for a week (very long time back) & we had stayed with a konkani family still remember those mouthwatering food:-)

I miss the purple kokum.

Unknown said...

looks yummy :)

Uj said...

KF, Shama,
Thank you

Divya,
Same with me!

Sowmya,
Do try it and let me know if you liked it

Sabithakka,
I do have some tender keerlu will try it soon. Though we dont get dried green peas will use only keerlu. Chane ghashi with Tender jack.. Sounds yummy.

Deesha,
Do try it. Its spicy and yummy!

AnuDivya,
Thanks dear :)

RC,
Burmese connection.. oh.. never knew of this..Thanks :)

Mahimaa,
Yes it is. Thanks.

Soma,
Good to know you love Konkani cuisine. Its solkaDi:)

Ramya,
Thanks

Laavanya said...

I've seen this in so many konkani blogs and can tell that this is such a favorite comfort food. Looks awesome.

Srikitchen said...

wow1 looks delicious and tempting!
join in the sweet event going in my blog!